Corruptio Optimi Pessima

Go down

Corruptio Optimi Pessima

Post by Niko on 2012-05-25, 08:22

I am now officially bringing this game to life. As mentioned before, this is a Dark Heresy campaign for those of us in the Aberdeen area over the summer. As such it will be a series of disjointed missions with very little or no overlying plot - simply playing for the sake of playing. The only constant will be the sector in which your party operates, hence the campaign title.

We will be using the core rulebook with no expansions. Battle Sisters and the like will not be allowed, however non-standard wargear may be awarded if you can justify it.

Everyone who's interested should post here. You should also let everyone know what time you would like the session to take place at, or when you're available if you don't have a preference. You may also want to let everyone else know which career path you would like to play. Throughout I will be relying on this forum thread for communication, so if you want to play ensure that you are signed up and have posted in this forum. You can always subscribe to email alerts if you don't want to check manually.

The first session will be extended to allow for character creation. I would like to supervise this so please refrain from rolling characters until this session.

Feel free to reply with any questions.

Last edited by Niko on 2012-06-27, 09:16; edited 2 times in total
Niko

View user profile http://start2play.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Corruptio Optimi Pessima

Post by SyrupWink on 2012-05-25, 09:06

I suppose I'll sign up for this.

I'd personally prefer to see this on a weekday, unless it's later on in the day on weekends as I'm normally meant to work til 2 then. Otherwise, I have no real preferance, I'll just not ask for overtime whatever day it ends up being on.

I'll look in to class choice later on, can't be arsed right this minute. I'll probably end up trying something differant this time.
SyrupWink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-05-25, 09:08

I think weekdays are going to be best overall.

Should be noted that I work Mondays 08:00 - 12:00, and Fridays 17:00 - 22:00.
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyn_Ryu on 2012-05-25, 09:20

I'm in.

I believe I shall be going for the Tech-priest class. I'm working weekends so weekdays would be best for me. I intend to keep my Deathwatch game running on the Thursday from 12-4 so please don't schedule for then.
Wyn_Ryu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TokenIrish on 2012-05-25, 11:39

A huge maybe for me depending on work hours and if i even get work as well as if i don't I'm home in 5 weeks
TokenIrish
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-05-25, 22:00

At the moment I'm thinking about running on Tuesdays, 2:00pm - 6:00pm. It's not early enough to be a pain in the ass for commuters, doesn't run too late to mess up bus times, and allows us to play on for a bit longer should we need to.

I haven't yet decided whether to run this game weekly or fortnightly, I'll probably run a session or two before I decide.
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-05-30, 23:52

The game is planned to run on Tuesday (5th of June) from 12:00 noon until 4:00pm. It will take place every other week, so as not to interfere with the Anime Society's time slot.

This session will be character creation, and not much playing I'm afraid. Please bring blank character sheets with you.
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by SyrupWink on 2012-06-04, 22:34

I'll be a little late to tomorrow's session due to work. Scheduled to finish at 1, though odds are I'll be finished a fair bit before that so I can't give a definate time on when I'll get there.

Also, I don't have any character sheets. Where do I go to acquire some?
SyrupWink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Whisper on 2012-06-05, 00:03

Greetings,

I typically use the Dark Heresy standard 5 page character sheet when I need a paper copy.

A printer friendly PDF is available at the following address.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/dark-heresy/pdf/support/dark-heresy-character-sheet-5-page-printer-friendly.pdf

If you are playing a non-psychic archetype the last two pages will be entirely superfluous.

Regards,

Peter.

P.S. Just dropping in to answer a question.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TokenIrish on 2012-06-05, 19:12

I won't be coming today as I'll only be able to show up this session and the following one before going... Also to not kill Nic with my use of a Ralf like character
TokenIrish
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyn_Ryu on 2012-06-05, 21:32

That's a shame. I was looking forward to finding ways to screw over the psyker.
Wyn_Ryu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azgoron on 2012-06-19, 17:50

Hey

I won't be attending this game today.
Azgoron
Admin

View user profile http://bramms.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-06-22, 08:14

#1 "Corruptio Optimi Pessima"
Post-Mission Summary

Mission Briefing:
++Transmission++DELTA LEVEL++
+Inquisitor
+++ Acolytes+++

Greetings Acolytes,
I have been impressed with your successes in recent missions. I am sending you the information needed to conduct an investigation into the rumors about Hive world Clove. For the past three years mutations have increased exponentially. At the same time there are rumours of Cult activity. You are to report to the Adeptus Arbites Special Division in the Hive Capital, Hueis Idoes. Your contact will be Arbitrator Enforcer Bella Holtz. Treat her as you would treat another Acolyte.

While on planet-side I would also like you to investigate the suspected Xenos drug nicknamed Twilight. This drug has been increasing in popularity for the last three years, and you all know how I don’t believe in coincidences. I have charted a ship from your location to take you to Clove. From there you will be responsible for any travel required during the mission. When you have completed the mission I will once again arrange travel for you to return.There may be Interrogators from other Ordos also investigating this issue, I expect full details in the reports you send to me.

Inquisitor

++End Transmission++
Mission Summary: While the investigation was not the rousing success it could have been, the party still managed to identify the source of the mutations - "Blessing of Nine" - a cult operating out of a rural church, an hour's travel from Gelt Square. Due to it's remote location and small congregation of followers, the cult managed to avoid interest from the authorities until now. The violent members of the cult have been dispatched with and non-violent members have been relocated to Dalthus and Purgatory of Soubiris mining worlds, where they can find purpose. The cult was led by Gimwyrm Favous, a notable con artist who is known by a dozen different aliases. The Inquisition would have preferred to question Favous, however his desperate suicide is an acceptable alternative.

The mutations were the result of ingesting tainted food, provided by the cult. The food was traced back to Baron Zarkovus Yorktos, who was apprehended by the Inquisition without a struggle. He protested his innocence, but could not provide any evidence to defend himself. He has been sentenced to serve the Ordo Hereticus as they see fit.

Footnotes:
  • Although the Baron's food supply is tainted, it cannot induce mutations. The secret of the cult's ability to rapidly and reliably mutate its followers dies with Favous.
  • As the acolytes were not successful in their investigation, they were led to important locations by an undercover Arbites agent, resulting in the party moving to unknown locations for reasons they weren't sure of. This was most likely due to my own shortcomings, as there weren't failsafes to keep the plot moving. I will try to rectify this in the future.
  • The party did not discover a connection between the rise of mutations and the consumption of "Twilight". Whether this is due to coincidence or insufficient evidence is unknown.
  • Among the cult's followers was a relatively well-known thug named Hertz Ogbor, who bears a hefty list of criminal offences. The acolytes have been awarded a bounty of 500 thrones for bringing him to justice, but imprisonment would have resulted in a larger reward.
Rewards:
You each recieve...
  • 400 base XP.
  • 100 bonus XP for tackling a high-difficulty mission with a non-combat oriented party.
  • 100 thrones for killing Hertz Ogbor.
  • One month's wages.
Additional bonus XP may be awarded to players for outstanding deeds, acts of heroism or effective roleplaying. Please post here with any deeds you would like me to consider.

-GM
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-06-27, 09:09

Evening gentlemen (+ Lynne).

The next session will start with downtime. This is an opportunity to spend XP, buy new items, or just generally dick around, get into trouble and develop your character a bit.

If you have access to the Dark Heresy books, then please look over the armoury and your advancement tables and plan out what you would like to get. I will double check any advancements taken, to ensure they are done correctly and so I know what your characters are capable of.

Shopping will be done during the session, but it helps to know what you want to buy in advance to prevent slowing things down by perusing and waiting for an available book. Rare items will require difficult rolls and/or roleplaying, more common items will be readily available to you. Please do not actually spend money before the session though, as I will need to determine how easy objects will be to acquire.

Finally, a quick reminder that although I am working from the Dark Heresy core rulebook, I am open to considering items from other books if they make sense for your character and you meet any requirements. I may also consider alternate career ranks, but don't get too hopeful.

-GM

P.S. You may notice that I have renamed the topic, and thus the game after your first mission, Corruptio Optimi Pessima. Translated: The corruption of the best is the worst. An appropriate title for any Dark Heresy campaign, and generally a much better name that the previous one.
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by Azgoron on 2012-07-05, 06:53

Hey

A (very) early heads up. I won't be able to attend next Tuesdays game due to a check up back in Moray...

Anyway, due to the fact that I've missed a few sessions, can I have a new character? I'm not really a fan of the Apept..
Azgoron
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-07-05, 10:34

No worries, Mark. Just go ahead and create your new character whenever you're ready - I want all characters to have the same XP, so just spend whatever everybody else has.

Which career path are you thinking of choosing this time?
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by Azgoron on 2012-07-06, 05:47

Niko wrote:No worries, Mark. Just go ahead and create your new character whenever you're ready - I want all characters to have the same XP, so just spend whatever everybody else has.

Which career path are you thinking of choosing this time?

I would probably go for a psyker (but not the bad kind. bounce pretty please..)
Azgoron
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-07-09, 09:20

Evening everyone, I've been at BreachLAN all weekend, so no more planning has happened. Postponed once again, this time to Tuesday 17th July. The game will run this time regardless of how much preparation has happened.

Thanks.
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by Azgoron on 2012-07-23, 03:38

Oh hey

Just a clarification on the Psyker rules for Dark Heresy as I was looking them up. I obviously was a little mistaken. I thought that you had to roll a base Willpower test and then the Power Roll to hit the psychic threshold. It turns out that the core rulebook for Dark Heresy(RT and DW are different), you just need to make a Power Roll. (Core Rulebook - pg161). You don't roll for Willpower first. I could have manifested a few times more.

Also, I read somewhere (I think errata) that the Focus Power action counts as an Attack action(you cannot repeat the same Half Action) so I couldn't have manifested Unnatural Aim and fire my gun on the same round. Whoopsey.

Mark
Azgoron
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Niko on 2012-07-29, 23:46

I decided to run this game for a few reasons, namely to bolster my own GM experience, to see if I'd be capable of running a more substantial game next semester, and to give everyone who could still make it to Aberdeen at least one game to take part in over the summer.

Since starting the game, several more have also started/resumed, so there is no longer a void that needs to be filled. I have also learned that as a GM I want to have every detail prepared and laid out, much like we saw last time with the map and character tokens. In order to have all of these details worked out and ready to go, I need to dedicate a lot of time and effort to preparation. Unfortunately I don't really have the time or effort to do so at the moment, much less when university resumes in September.

So it is with a heavy heart that I am deciding to retire this game. I want to thank all of you for taking part, and humouring me as I bumbled my way through, and I want to apologise for taking up so much of your time, only to have things end so abruptly. I figured it's better to end it now, rather than waste more of everyone's time with delays and half-hearted and unprepared sessions.

-GM, Over and out.
Niko

Back to top Go down

Post by Azgoron on 2012-07-30, 00:16

Thats okay

You did good. I had fun at least which is what it's all about.

Mark
Azgoron
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum